Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Alberich's Curse


Hermann Becht, Bass
Bayreuther Festspiele, Pierre Boulez
Das Rheingold , Sc. 4

English Translation:
Am I free now?
Truly free?
Then thus I give you
my freedom's first greeting!
Since by curse it came to me,
accursed be this ring!
Since its gold gave me
measureless might,
now may its magic bring
death to whoever wears it!
It shall gladden
no happy man;
its bright gleam shall light
on no one lucky!
Whoever possesses it
shall be consumed with care,
and whoever has it not
be gnawed with envy!
Each shall itch
to possess it,
but none in it
shall find pleasure!
Its owner shall guard it profitlessly,
for through it he shall meet his executioner!
Forfeit to death,
faint with fear shall he be fettered;
the length of his life
he shall long to die,
the ring's master
to the ring a slave,
until again I hold in my hands
what was stolen!
Thus, in direst distress,
the Niblung blesses
his ring!
Keep it now,
guard it well;
my curse you cannot escape!

No comments:

Search for Info/News on Torture

Google Custom Search
Add to Google ">View blog reactions

This site can contain copyrighted material, the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. I am making such material available in my effort to advance understanding of political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. I believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.